Welcome to the CFB DFS Triple Option here at Paydirt! This is going to be a weekly article aimed at giving thoughts and notes on three important aspects of the CFB DFS slate. This article is NOT used with the projections models here at Paydirt (Found here), but it will still be valuable even as a one-off piece of content. While the focus is on Draftkings, the content is applicable to Fanduel as well.
DFS Slate Overview
- Ollie Gordon II (RB, OKST) leads the way with projected ownership of 58.66% and a median projection of 29.03. At the quarterback spot, Dillon Gabriel is atop the position with projected ownership of 26.21%. At the wide receiver position, the duo of Elijah Sarratt and Reggie Brown from JMU both project over 50% due to their cheap prices and high median projection. Furthermore, they provide significant roster flexibility. Jawhar Jordan (RB, UL) and Jonathon Brooks (RB, UT) are also popular choices with their ownership percentages sitting at 36.49% and 25.03%, respectively.
- JMU, OU, OKST and GAST look to be the primary choices for stacking based on the high ownership of their players. Interestingly, five of the ten most-owned players on this slate are from these squads. Additionally, OU is playing OKST and JMU is playing GAST meaning game stacks involving these players should also be popular. However, teams like FSU, PSU, and UT are under-owned relative to their ceiling and should be considered for GPPs.
- For those looking to diversify their lineups, players like Marvin Harrison Jr., Luther Burden III, and KeAndre Lambert-Smith have ownership percentages below 15% but still boast high ceilings. Furthermore, spending up at the WR position today will inherently give you a contrarian roster construction.
Depending on the size of the slate, there may be multiple situations, value plays, and popular options that you need to consider. Join the Paydirt discord with this link for more updates and game theory on all the slates details: https://discord.gg/mQ6u5dfawF
CFB Cash Core:
This core of players will help you build a strong foundation in cash games. While it is best to use all these players, it's not a requirement. These players can also be used as GPP one-offs in contrarian builds.
QB: Jordan McCloud
RB: Ollie Gordon II
WR1: Reggie Brown
WR2: Elijah Sarratt
Flex: Jawhar Jordan
CFB GPP Core:
This core of players will help you build in differentiation in your DFS lineups. These players are meant to be mixed in with some of the stronger chalk options. How many of these players you put in is dependent on the size of the field and personal risk tolerance.
QB: Jordan Travis
RB: Audric Estime
WR1: Marvin Harrison Jr.
WR2: KeAndre Lambert-Smith
Flex: Robert Lewis
DFS Stack Considerations
PSU (Pennsylvania State University)
UT (University of Texas)
FSU (Florida State University)
CFB DFS Final Thoughts
Players like Carson Beck, Luther Burden III, and Eugene Wilson III have relatively lower ownership percentages but still have strong median projections. Rostering these players can be a way to differentiate your lineup in large tournaments. Additionally, In high-total games you can also consider full offensive stacks. For example, with Darren Grainger and Marcus Carroll both popular you can balance ownership by adding a lower-owned Robert Lewis. Much of the focus today is on players from 2 out of the 12 games, and almost exclusively from the late afternoon games. Therefore, targeting lower-owned/high upside teams or game environments particularly in the noon set of games could be a strong strategy in GPPs.
GL and let's bake some bread!
Powerful tools for every sport
One site, one affordable price
Join Free by signing up below for 3 days of full access!
- Make decisions using a players full range of outcomes, not just their median projection.
- Use actionable metrics based on leverage that help you identify mistakes the field is making and leverage them for your own success.
- Have access to experts in the field along with coaching opportunities to build your process.
- Jump in the Paydirt community discord and join conversations around your favorites sports all day, every day, for free.